Students must carry the following documents on their person and show them to the Customs and Border Patrol agent when entering the U.S. Do not pack original versions of these items in checked luggage. 

  1. -A passport valid for at least 6 more months at the time of entry to the U.S. 

  2. Valid F-1 student visa (visa not required for citizens of Canada and Bermuda). 

  • -Original JHU I-20.  If your child received an electronic I-20, you should print and sign it and they should carry the paper document when they travel. 

  • -The SEVIS (I-901) payment receipt. 

  • -Also recommended: copies of financial documentation. 

Carry these with you onto the airplane (or vehicle if traveling by land). Do not pack them in checked luggage. Luggage will not be available until after you have passed through the U.S. immigration inspection point.